Shanganamore School opened in 1831 following the hard work of voluntary labour. The first teacher was Hugh O Connell. Other teachers in the school were George Cormicheal and John Fleming. In 1973 the school was in fear of closing due to lack of population. However due to the persistence of the local community the school remained open. The last principal was Miss Eileen O Connor who retired in June 1986. Following her retirement Mr Gerard Mulholland took over as principal. The school moved to its new school in October 1998. The school continued to expand over the following years to now become a five teacher school. In 2009 the current principal Pauline Lawlor was appointed. The following year the school expanded, building an extra resource room. Then just this year the school expanded once more building another classroom.
The current teaching staff includes: Mrs. Pauline Lawlor, (Principal) Ms Eilis Candy, (Deputy principal) Ms Laura Sullivan, Ms Klara Carroll, Ms Gillian Loughman, Mr Adrian Kelly, Ms Cathy Lawlor, Mrs Eithne Murray, Mrs Breda Wall, (SNA) Mrs Siobhan Connolly. (SNA) Additional Staff includes: Nicola Sourke (Secretary) and Ned Gleeson (Caretaker).
The school has achieved much in its 185 years. Including being the oldest inhabited school in the country before its closure in 1998. The school has won numerous awards. Including the recent Health Promoting Schools Flag.